It’s summertime in Chicago and you know what that means. It’ll be a warm race day. Here are some tips, from the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series team, to make sure you’re fully prepared and raring to go.
- Remember to complete the Medical Information on the back of your race bib.
- Take some salt. Before your race, add a salt pack to a cup of fluid and drink it. Salt packets will be available at the start line refreshment stand and also from race officials within your starting corrals. Salt packets can also be found on course at all medical stations.
- Don’t over-exert yourself. If you’re feeling hot, slow down to a comfortable pace and ease up.
- Don’t over-drink. Drink when you are thirsty and no more. Favor electrolyte beverages with sodium over plain water.
- Make use of the on-course cooling elements including misting stations, cooling buses, ice towels, wet sponges and popsicles and cold beer (at the finish line!). Take a break in shaded areas along the route for a quick breather.
- If you don’t feel right, stop at a medical station to get checked out or stop any race or city official you see on course who can help you seek assistance.
Keep an eye out for the following cooling elements on the half marathon course:
- 6 misting stations located at miles 2.4, 4.6, 5.8, 6.5, 8.1 and 11.9 (10K course – mile 4.9)
- Ice/sponge stations.
- Cooling buses located at miles 8.1, 9.4 and 11 (10K course – mile 4)
- Ice towels available in the Finish Line Secure Zone
- Popsicles and cool drinks available in the Finish Line Secure Zone
Additional course support for the half marathon and 10K distances can be found here.
Rest assured we’re prepared for the weather too and will be ready to rock with you, rain or shine. To read more expert tips for running in warm weather, click here.
Participants may sign up for text alerts by texting the word “chiweather” to 85-007. Text messages will only be sent if necessary. Normal messaging rates apply.