Information pertaining specifically to the 2018 United Airlines Rock ‘n’ Roll Washington DC Marathon & 1/2 Marathon is listed below. Information on this page is subject to change so please check back regularly.
Capitol Hill Access Information
- Course Map *
- Road Closure Grid *
- Freeway Ramp Closure Grid *
- Metering Points/Bump Cross Routes*
- No Park Grid* -Coming Soon!
- Road Closure Brochure*
- Capitol Hill Access Information*
*Requires free Adobe Reader to view and print
Use the free Waze App on your smart phone for point to point directions on race day around road closures!
Be Aware. Plan Ahead
Drivers are encouraged to adjust travel time within and around the race course.
- The United Airlines Rock ‘n’ Roll Washington DC Marathon & ½ Marathon will bring more than 25,000 runners and walkers to the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area, in addition to tens of thousands of spectators, family and friends.
- To get the most out of your weekend and minimize stress, be aware of the road closures in your area and plan ahead for an alternate route or added travel time.
- Join the festivities! Residents of Washington, D.C. are encouraged to volunteer at the Health & Fitness Expo at the DC Armory, the start or finish line near RFK Stadium, or line the course to cheer runners.
Most road closures and detours will be in effect between the hours of 6:30 am and 3:00 pm. The race begins at 7:00 am, and streets will reopen on a rolling basis as soon as the last participant has passed and all course support materials have been removed. Streets along the earlier miles of the route will open earlier than roads along the end of the route. Please review the road closure grid, freeway ramp closure grid and course map for more information. Residents and businesses located near the race course are urged to plan ahead and to be aware of road closure schedules and alternate access routes.
Road Closure Map
This map outlines the road closures, highlights alternate routes and provides access information for popular destinations which will be affected by road closures during the race. Please click on the icons for information about road closure times and/or general access information. At most points along the course, pedestrians and bicyclists may cross the course during safe gaps in runners. Please follow the discretion of a traffic controller if present. Google Maps does NOT take into account the road closures on race day. To request assistance with alternate directions please contact the Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon community relations team by completing the community contact form.
Cross-traffic will be metered across the route at the following locations, at the discretion of traffic controllers. During the race there may be periods of times when the runner pack is especially tight and vehicle traffic may not be able to cross the course immediately. A complete list of the metering locations/bump cross routes can be found here.
Public Transportation Information
Due to the course route, several Metrobus routes will be on detour due to road closures during the race. Please see the detoured bus routes outlined on the WMATA website. Additionally, additional Metro service will be added. Contact WMATA directly by calling 202-637-7000.
Streets along the race course will be marked with No Parking signs. Vehicles in violation of these posted signs will be ticketed and towed at the owners’ expense. Complete list of No Park zones will be posted soon.
For More Information
If your question is not answered on this website, please complete this community contact form so we may better assist you.