Spectators are a huge part of the racing experience- with so many people lining the streets, it is just as important for spectators to prepare for race day as it is for the athletes themselves.
This isn’t like junior high, where your child is embarrassed by your yelling and waving goodbye from the car at school drop-off. Make sure your runner knows you are there! Many spectators will make customized shirts, signs and have plenty of bells or noisemakers so their runner— and the thousands of others out on course—feel love and support on race day. This is a huge accomplishment! Cheer them on in style!
We have put together a list of the top tips for spectators to remember that will be sure you give their runner that extra kick they need!
Spectator Guide - All Things Expo
United Airlines Rock n Roll Washington DC features a two-day Health & Fitness Expo prior to the race, which all participants must visit to pick up their race packets. Free and open to the public, this expo features the latest in running technologies, fitness apparel, health & nutrition information and interactive displays.
Pick up some last-minute essentials before race day and be sure to visit the Brooks Official Merchandise Store. All runners must visit the expo to pick up their race number, gear bag and t-shirt.
2018 Floor Plan & Exhibitor List
- Date: March 8-9, 2018
- Location: The DC Armory (map)
- Expo Hours:
- Thursday, March 8: 12:00pm – 7:00pm
- Friday, March 9: 10:00am – 7:00pm
- Directions: Take the Metro Blue/Orange/Silver line: Stadium – Armory Station
- Parking: On-site parking is available in RFK Stadium Lot 6, click here for directions. Parking lot 6 entrance is located on Oklahoma Ave NE
- Additional Information:
- Visit the Expo on Thursday – we highly recommend visiting the Health & Fitness Expo on Thursday. The Health & Fitness Expo will be significantly more busy on Friday as more out of town participants arrive. Avoid long lines and shop first at the Brooks Official Merchandise Store and exhibitor booths!
Spectator Guide - Start
Start Line / Constitution Avenue NW and 14th Street
- Metro Station: Federal Triangle or Smithsonian Lines: Orange / Blue / Silver
Spectator Guide - Viewing on Course
- Mile 1 CVS Pharmacy: 2125 E Street NW…Metro Station: Foggy Bottom…Lines: Orange / Blue / Silver
- Mile 5 Dumbarton Bridge/ Q Street : NW 23rd and Q ST NW…Metro Station: Dupont Circle…Lines: Red
- Mile 6.2 Open City Coffee House: 2331 Calvert Street NW…Metro Station: Woodley Park-Zoo…Lines: Red
- Mile 8 Bison Bend / Howard University: 5th & Harvard Street, NW…Metro Station: Columbia Heights…Lines: Yellow / Green
- Mile 9.5 North Capitol: North Capitol Street at R Street, NW…Metro Station: New York Ave/ Florida Ave/Gallaudent University…Lines: Red
- Mile 13.7 D Street SE at 3rd Street SE…Metro Station: Capitol South…Metro Lines: Blue/ Orange
- Mile 14.8 M Street at S. Capitol Street SW…Metro Station: Navy Yard…Metro Lines: Green
- Mile 22.1 Randle Circle: Minnesota Avenue, SE…Metro Station: Benning Road…Metro Lines: Blue
Spectator Guide - Finish Line
- Finish Line: RFK Stadium Lot/Armory Lawn.. Metro Station: Stadium Armory… Lines: Orange/Blue/Silver
FREE Runner Tracking
Runner Tracking technology lets you know the progress of your runner on race day. Download the new Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series App to track your athlete! Click here to download!
Designate A Post-Race Meeting Area
FAMILY REUNION AREA
After the race, reunite with runners in the Family Reunion area at the Finish Line Festival and relish in your runners’ post race accomplishment. With a large number of participants and thousands of excited spectators, it can be difficult to locate friends and family without a plan. It is highly recommended that you designate a meet up location BEFORE the race. The Family Reunion area will have tall, clearly-marked signs by letter (A – Z), so be sure to coordinate and plan to meet at a pre-determined letter.