In August 2013, Julie’s eye began to twitch. Her mother, Melissa, knew something could be terribly wrong. Julie’s eye doctor soon confirmed Melissa’s fear: Julie had a brain tumor called an optic glioma.
Worried about the looming possibility of a very risky brain surgery, Melissa sought out other options. The family was soon referred to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital® for Julie’s treatment and care. At St. Jude, Julie underwent chemotherapy as part of her initial course of treatment.
Runners who fundraise for St. Jude while training for their race are called St. Jude Heroes. Heroes are helping kids, like Julie, who, after a long break from chemotherapy, is undergoing treatment once again at St. Jude, with additional support from a hospital close to home. Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food — because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.
Julie’s sister Gabby is by her side every step of the way. “My girls inspire me to be the very best person I can possibly be, every day,” said Melissa, who will be running as a St. Jude Hero in this year’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon & 1/2.Run for St. Jude
Or, are you already registered?Upgrade to Fundraiser
How to Raise $500 in One Week
Raising $500 is as simple as doing the following seven steps. Do one step a day, and you’re done in a week. Easy!
- Start with yourself. Donate $20 to your goal, and be the example you want your donors to see.
- Double your gift by checking with your company to see if they’ll match. There’s another $20.
- Get your friends involved! Ask five of them for $20 each. That gives you $100 for the kids of St. Jude.
- Ask five family members to support you with $20 each. That’s $100 more.
- How about your neighbors? Ask five of them to give $20 for another $100.
- Do your coworkers know about your goal? Ask five to donate $20, and that brings your total so far to $440 (nicely done!).
- Reach out online. Link to your fundraising page on social media and share what you’re doing. Tell your friends how close you are to reaching your goal, and let them help you get there.
Just like that, you’ve raised $500 without breaking a sweat! And the best part is knowing that your running will benefit a greater good, helping kids with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Thank you for joining us in supporting the lifesaving work of St. Jude. (In case you didn’t already know, you rock!)