It’s still hot out there so keeping hydrated during exercise is crucial! Not only does it help maintain your body’s temperature control systems, it keeps your brain functioning at its peak and boosts energy.
Try these tips to keep yourself happily hydrated during training!
1. Resist the temptation of sugary beverages by substituting homemade flavored waters. It’s easy: simply steep fruits and veggies in a big pitcher of water overnight in the fridge.
Try this recipe for Strawberry-Watermelon Water with Basil or create your own. These are some great flavor combos:
- Sliced cucumber and mint
- Strawberry, raspberry and blackberry
- Lemon slices and fresh ginger
- Grapefruit wedges and rosemary
- Lavender flowers (use sparingly) and lemon
- Sliced kiwi and lime
- Fresh ginger and sliced peaches
2. Plan meals that are water-dense like salad and chilled soups. They will hydrate you and fill you up at the same time!
Here are some refreshing recipes we love:
3. Snack on juicy, hydrating whole fruit. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Watermelon is a perfect late summer refresher. For a twist, add a sprinkle of chili powder and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Wash and stem grapes, then pop them in the freezer for a sweet frozen treat!
- Make melon balls and freeze them too! We recommend honeydew and cantaloupe, but any melon will do.
To discover more healthy recipes, search online at www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes.