How To Register
Registering is easy! You may register for any Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series event in two ways.
- Register Online
- Request an entry form by mail. Please contact us and we will be happy to mail a form to you. All registrations submitted by paper entry form will be charged a $15 Green Fee for processing. We do not accept phone entries.
Please enter only once. If you fax or register online, do not mail a hard copy. Do not send multiple faxes or online entries.
Don’t know if you are registered for the 2017 AACR Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon? Click here to confirm.
Personalize Your Bib
You can submit 12 characters (including spaces) to be printed on your bib number when you register online before the event deadline. Simply type your message into the Personalize your Bib field during registration. Beware of using symbols as not all symbols will print correctly on bib numbers.
Your participant bib number, t-shirt and gear check bag must be picked up at the Health & Fitness Expo on Friday, September 16 or Saturday, September 17. In an effort to accommodate the requests from families and local runners while balancing the security and logistical needs of a major participatory event, we will be offering the following additional pick up option:
HELP YOUR FRIENDS AT THE EXPO
Outside of normal Rock ‘n’ Roll packet pick-up policies you will be allowed to pick up your friend or family’s packet at the Expo under these guidelines:
- You may pick up your packet and one additional packet at no extra cost. If you pick up additional packets, you will be charged $20 per packet. You can pick up a maximum of four packets, including your own.
- You must have a copy of the photo ID and the original signed confirmation sheet from each person whose packet you are picking up. Confirmation sheets will be available for download approximately two weeks prior to the event.
- Once you get to the Expo, please bring these items directly to the Solutions table to receive your packets and pay for service (if applicable).
**Race changes are only allowed up to 8 weeks prior to race day. Please visit our Event Timelines page for event specific deadlines
Switching from a LONGER distance to a SHORTER distance
- Before the event deadline: If you would like to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance, simply email this request along with your first name, last name, the mailing address that you registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service.
- After the event deadline:
- If you decide to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance that will take place on the same day as your current registration, simply show up to the start line of the desired distance on race morning and your timing tag will reflect the change. You can visit the corral change table in the Check-In area of the Expo for information on the appropriate corral to start in.
- If you decide to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance that will take place on a different day of the Remix Challenge Weekend, please pick up your assigned bib number at the Expo and proceed to the “Solutions” table.
Switching from a SHORTER distance to a LONGER distance
- Before the event deadline: To upgrade from a shorter distance to a longer distance, simply contact our Customer Service at 800-311-1255 and be ready to provide your name, new predicted finishing time, and payment information. The early upgrade fee is the difference in price between the registration fees charged at the time of registration, plus a $10 upgrade fee (processing fee is not included when calculating price difference).
- After the event deadline: If you would like to upgrade from a shorter distance to a longer distance, you will need to pay an upgrade fee at the Expo. Please pick up your assigned bib number and proceed to the “Solutions” table. You will be charged the appropriate fee based on the distance you are currently registered for and your desired distance.
The start line corral system allows for a smooth race start for participants of varying speeds. Based on the estimated finish time that you provide on your race entry form, you are assigned a race number and corresponding corral, along with other participants of similar running pace.
- Before the event deadline: If you would like to change your corral/predicted finish time for your race, simply email your request along with your first name, last name, the mailing address that you registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service.
- After the event deadline: If your training has gone better than expected and you would like to move up to a faster corral, pick up your race number at the Health & Fitness Expo and then proceed to the “Corral Change” table to be re-assigned to the appropriate corral. To move back to a slower corral, simply start in that corral on race morning. No official corral change is necessary.
Before the event deadline: You may defer your Half Marathon entry to the following year for a $45 deferral fee. Entries will only be deferred to the following year for the same city and distance of your current registration. Deferral fees are non-refundable. 10K, 5K or other distances do not apply and cannot be deferred.
To defer your registration before the event deadline, please click here. You will have the option to either login to your Race It account OR enter your confirmation number and date of birth. (Your confirmation number can be found on your confirmation email which was sent to you at the time of registration and can also be resent using the Resend Confirmation option) On the next page select the option to “Defer Entry” and complete your payment information. Upon submission, your registration will automatically be transferred to the following year’s event and you will receive an email confirming your submission was processed successfully.
After the event deadline: Unfortunately, the option to defer is only valid through the event deadline and our standard cancellation policy will apply as follows: If a registration refund is not purchased at the time of registration, entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and entries are NON-TRANSFERABLE. Sorry, no exceptions. Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate. You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. You also may not transfer your application to the following year or to another Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series event.
2017 Event Registration Refund Program- (REGISTRATION COMPLETED ON OR AFTER MARCH 18, 2017)
Allianz Global Assistance offers Registration Protector
Registration Protector gives participants the opportunity to fully insure their entry. If you can’t attend this event for any number of reasons, including covered injury, illness, traffic accidents and more, you’ll be reimbursed for your registration cost, fees and other related costs. Just add it to your entry upon checkout! Terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. See full coverage details.
To file a claim, please contact Allianz Global Assistance at 1-888-497-6989 or visit them online here
To contact Allianz Global Assitance directly by email: email@example.com
Note: Purchase of registration refund MUST be done at the time of your original registration, no exceptions.
2017 Registration Refund Program- (REGISTRATION COMPLETED BEFORE MARCH 18, 2017)
Registration Refund Program provided by Transamerica
Great News! With Registration Refund provided by Transamerica you can request a 100% registration fee refund if you are unable to participate due to a specific covered reason. To qualify, you must select the Registration Refund option at the time of registration. You may then receive a registration fee refund if you are unable to participate due to any of the following reasons:
Bad things like:
Injury, unforeseen illness, family member injury or illness, family member loss of life, involuntary job loss, unexpected travel delays (that are covered under the policy).
Good things like:
Pregnancy, childbirth, family member pregnancy or childbirth.
Other reasons including:
Active duty military deployment, permanent job relocation.
Note: A Qualified Medical Practitioner must certify illness, injury or pregnancy refund requests.
Click here to learn more and review the program’s FAQs.
Click here to download a copy of the terms and conditions and the refund request form.
Note: Purchase of registration refund MUST be done at the time of your original registration, no exceptions.
If a registration refund is not purchased at the time of registration, entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and entries are NON-TRANSFERABLE. Sorry, no exceptions. Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate. You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. You also may not transfer your application to the following year or to another Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series event.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. No exceptions.
- Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate (unless you have selected Transamerica’s Registration Refund Policy); you may not give or sell your race number to anyone else, and you may not transfer your entry fee to future races.
- If you attempt to sell your race number, you may be banned from future Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series and affiliated events for three years.
- You must be at least 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon and 8 years old to participate in the 5K.
- You must be in good health and physically prepared to take on the challenge of a Half Marathon.
- You must show photo ID to receive your race number and timing chip.
- You must pick up your own race packet and race number at the Health & Fitness Expo.
- Race numbers are required to be worn at all times during the race.
- No coaches, bikes, in-line skates, skateboards, baby joggers or dogs will be allowed on the course.
- Overall winners will not qualify for their age group category awards.
Parking & Transportation
To make parking easy and stress free, we have partnered with Parking Panda, the nationwide leader in online parking reservations, to allow you to search and reserve parking before your trip or on the go. View real-time availability and pricing at many convenient locations within easy walking distance to Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon weekend events. Simply update the calendar to fit your schedule to view parking.
Need hotel parking? Comparison-shop and book online with Parking Panda. Simply update the calendar to fit your schedule to view parking garages and lots near your hotel. Use the interactive map to center around your hotel, or search the hotel address. Once booked, your spot is 100% guaranteed at the selected location. If you need assistance please give Parking Panda a call at (800) 232-6415!
*Requires free Adobe Reader to view and print
Be Aware. Plan Ahead.
Drivers are encouraged to adjust travel time within and around the race course.
- The American Association for Cancer Research Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon will bring thousands of runners and walkers to Philadelphia in addition to thousands of spectators, family and friends.
- To get the most out of your weekend and minimize stress, be aware of the road closures in your area and plan ahead for an alternate route or added travel time.
- Join the festivities! Philadelphia residents are encouraged to visit the free Health & Fitness Expo at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, volunteer during race weekend and/or line the course to cheer runners.
Most road closures and detours will be in effect on Sunday between the hours of 7:00 am and 12:00 noon. At 7:00 am, Police and event personnel may implement a soft closure along the entire race course. The race begins at 7:30 am. At most points along the course, pedestrians and bicyclists may cross the course during safe gaps in runners. Please follow the discretion of a traffic controller if present. Streets will reopen on a rolling basis as soon as the last participant passes and all course support materials are removed. Streets along the earlier miles of the route will open earlier than roads along the end of the route. Please review the road closure grid and course map for more information. Residents and businesses located near the race course are urged to be aware of road closure schedules and to plan ahead for alternate access routes. Expect traffic delays around the race route.
Streets along the race course will be marked with No Parking signs. Vehicles in violation of these posted signs will be ticketed and towed at the owners’ expense. View a list of No-Parking Zones here.
For More Information
If your question is not answered on this website, please complete this community contact form so we may better assist you.
Before you enter your assigned corral, drop-off your pre-race/post-race clothing and belongings at Gear Check. While you run, your gear will be held at Gear Check and available for your collection when you have completed your race.
Each participant will receive a large, durable gear bag at the Health & Fitness Expo when you pick up your packet that will serve as your gear bag on race day. Gear Check trucks will be arranged alphabetically and by truck number near the Start Line. Attach your gear tag to your gear bag before you leave it with the Gear Check crew. After the race, reclaim your checked bag at the designated Gear Check area.
Please note: DO NOT leave valuables, cash or jewelry in your gear bag. The event is not responsible for any lost items. Gear bags must be claimed before close of the Finish Line Festival on race day.
In an effort to provide each participant with as streamlined a run as possible, a Wave Start will be implemented at American Association for Cancer Research Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon.
Participants are assigned an appropriate corral based on their projected finishing time, as submitted at registration. The corrals are then released in waves, in order to space out starting participants and minimize crowding. Typically, there are multiple waves assigned to the most common finishing times. All spectators should be aware of this when organizing their viewing schedule for the day.
- When the starting gun fires, the first corral is released. The rest of the participants will be held at the start line.
- At pre-determined intervals the next corral will be released, and then the next.
- By using this staggered starting method, the pack will be spread out and allow every runner to settle into their racing rhythm from the first step right to the finish line.
To ensure that roads reopen to vehicular traffic at the scheduled times, course time limits will be STRICTLY ENFORCED. Participants must maintain a pace faster than the course time limits in order to complete the race on closed city streets. Cut-off locations will be enforced on the course; runners or walkers who do not reach the cut-off location by the communicated time will be advanced forward on the course, or shuttled to the finish line area. Please note – cut-off times are calculated based on participants’ timing tag time, not starting gun time. Course time limits begin when the last participant and Tail Vehicle cross the start line.
If a participant’s pace falls below the course time limit, they have several options:
- Increase their pace to stay within the event’s minimum pace;
- Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or
- If the participant cannot continue, they may board a sag wagon to be dropped off at the next shuttle location, at a nearby medical station. The participant will be seen by a Medical Team Captain to be cleared for the medical shuttle before being transported to the finish line.
The course time limit for Philadelphia is 4 hours.
Information Booths and Lost & Found
Information Booths will be positioned at the start and finish to assist you with any race day questions and to help you find your way. The Information Booths will also serve as the race day Lost & Found. Any valuables found at the start or finish should be turned in to the Information Booth. Unclaimed items from the start will be transported to the finish.
Any valuable items NOT claimed at the finish by 3pm will be trucked back to our San Diego office. To claim a lost item after the event, please contact Competitor Group at 800-311-1255.
The Medical Team is a dedicated group of multidisciplinary medical professionals, available to help assess your race day medical needs and administer acute first aid when necessary.
Numerous medical stations will be located at the Finish as well as at the Start, and along the course. Look for large RED and WHITE tents and for medical volunteers dressed in RED shirts for medical assistance before, during and after the race.
Race timing by Race Central using ChronoTrack systems will record participants’ times at the start, at certain splits along the courses and at the finish. The ChronoTrack system uses a disposable tag, called a D-Tag, which allows you to walk away from the finish without the need to have your tag collected.
The ChronoTrack timing tag (D-Tag) will be attached to your race bib. The D-Tag will be labeled with a number that matches your race number. When you pick up your bib, please make sure these numbers match, and also verify that YOUR name is printed on the bib you are issued*. Proceed to the Solutions Table if any of the information is incorrect.
Prior to the race, you must remove the tag from your number and attach it to your shoe. Instructions for proper D-Tag placement can be found here.
PLEASE NOTE: All participants in this race must wear the ChronoTrack timing tag on your shoe in order to have their times recorded. No tag = no time!
*If you register for the race before online registration closes, your ChronoTrack timing tag should have your name printed on it.
Visit Race Central for more information.
|Share Your Story|
Do your thing for Cancer Research
Chance to earn 5 Medals and free race entry!
Team up with the AACR Runners for Research at the 2016 AACR Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia 5K & Half Marathon to raise awareness and funds for cancer research. We also need volunteers for the Expo and on race day.
As a member of the AACR Runners for Research team, your dollars go towards funding the most promising cancer research to find cures for the more than 200 diseases we know as cancer.
The AACR is the first and largest cancer research organization in the world, founded in 1907 and headquartered right here in Philadelphia. With more than 35,000 members, we are behind every advancement in cancer science for more than 100 years.
Invite your colleagues, friends and family to join you. Corporate teams are welcome too!
When you join our team and reach fundraising milestones, you will receive fantastic perks and opportunities for more prizes including:
• AACR Runners for Research racing shirt, goodie bag, hoodie & backpack
• Free race entry
• Prizes for top fundraisers in men’s/women’s categories
Earn 5 Medals!
Compete in the Finding Cures Challenge by completing both the Half and 5K to earn 5 medals: 5K, ½ Marathon, Remix Challenge, Heart of Rock ’n’ Roll Charity Medal, AACR Charity Medal.
Already registered with Rock ‘n’ Roll or are you a Tour Pass Holder?
You can still join the AACR Runners for Research and your registration fee will be reimbursed once you have confirmed registration with AACR.
Interested in more Runners for Research events and cancer research information?
Complete the information sheet so we can keep you informed about exciting events and activities with the AACR Foundation. When you email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org, we’ll send you a free issue of Cancer Today magazine, the authoritative resource for cancer patients, survivors, and caregivers.
Want to double your donation?
Ask your employer about Matching Gifts and Workplace Giving Campaigns.
We have partnered with clothes-pin to create an exciting series of community service initiatives for the 2016 race, including the Expo Sneaker Drive and Race Day Clothing Collection Effort. clothes-pin will be celebrating their 7th year with the race and collecting all types of men’s, women’s and children’s shoes during the 2-day Health & Fitness Expo. Please help us reach their goal of exceeding 1,000 pairs.
On race day. clothes-pin volunteers will collect the clothing traditionally discarded at the start corrals. Last year, they collected and donated over 7,500 articles of clothing! clothes-pin (clothes for people in need) is a Philadelphia-based, non-profit organization, who focuses on the collection and distribution of clothing to those in need. Thanks to the generosity of the running community nation-wide, clothes-pin has delivered over 250,000 articles of clothing to date. See you at the Convention Center and on the Parkway, and thank you in advance for your generosity!
Pace Team times provided by Fairmount Running Club
Half: 1:30, 1:45, 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45, 3:00
Runner Tracking lets your friends, family and fans know your progress on race day. Convenient texts keep them updated every step of the way. To sign up for FREE runner tracking compliments of Synchrony Financial, click here.
Simply enter your cell phone number, we will send you a text with your code and then follow the prompts to finalize set up.
Once you cross the finish line, you’ll enter the Secure Zone, a fenced off area designated for participants only. In the Secure Zone, receive your finisher’s medal, have your photo taken and refuel with water, snacks and refreshments. Once you leave the Secure Zone, you cannot re-enter. Just beyond the Secure Zone you can retrieve your gear bag and join family and friends for the Finish Line Festival.
Every finisher over age 21: Celebrate your accomplishment with one well-deserved complimentary Michelob ULTRA beer at the finish line. Important Note: State law requires your photo ID to be checked on race day – even if you’re 99 – so be sure to have it with you!
After the race, reunite with family and friends in the Family Reunion area and relish in your post race accomplishment with refreshments and live music at the finish line stage. With a large number of participants and thousands of excited spectators, it can be difficult to locate friends and family without a plan. It is highly recommended that you designate a meet-up location for friends and family BEFORE the race in the Family Reunion area. The Family Reunion area will post tall, clearly-marked signs by Letter (A – Z), so be sure to coordinate and plan to meet at a pre-determined letter.
Age Group Awards
Age group awards will be presented 3-deep in all divisions, for both the marathon (where applicable) and half marathon, for male and female categories. Top 3 overall male and females are excluded from the age-group awards and can only receive one prize. Awards will be mailed within 4 to 6 weeks of results being finalized. In accordance with USATF Rules, overall and cash awards will be determined by gun time while age group awards will be determined by your ChronoTrack time.