Here are 12 North Carolina Fun Facts to celebrate the 12th State of the United States of America!
As one of the newer faces of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, Norgth Carolina is a southern metropolis with no shortage of interesting facts ranging from history, donuts, baseball legends and more.
(1) The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill is the oldest State University in the United States.
(2) In 1903 the Wright Brothers made the first successful powered flight by man at Kill Devil Hill near Kitty Hawk. The Wright Memorial at Kitty Hawks now commemorates their achievement.
(3) The first English colony in America was located on Roanoke Island. Walter Raleigh founded it. The colony mysteriously vanished with no trace except for the word “Croatoan” scrawled on a nearby tree.
(4) Babe Ruth hit his first home run in Fayetteville on March 7, 1914.
(5) Pepsi was invented and first served in New Bern in 1898.
(6) As part of the triangle that includes Durham and Chapel Hill, along with nearby Cary, Raleigh and is often called the “Smithsonian of the South.” The capital city of North Carolina allows residents and visitors alike access to at least 40 free museums and historic attractions.
(7) Raleigh’s Carolina Hurricanes are the only major professional sports team in the state to win a championship.
(8) North Carolina is the largest producer of sweet potatoes in the nation. In 2011, farmers within the state harvested 64,000 acres—yielding 1.28 billion pounds of the vitamin A-rich tubers.
(9)The city of Raleigh is known as the live music capitol of North Carolina as well with many national headlining acts and DJs coming to the area as a regular stop on their tours.
(10) Krispy Kreme Doughnut was founded in Winston-Salem.
(11) State Motto: Esse quam videri (To be rather than to seem)
(12) Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Marathon & 1/2 Marathon presented by WRAL was presented with an award for the Nation’s Best New Sports Event in 2014!
These are just 12 interesting bits about N.C. Make plans to experience this southern belle and see what all the fuss is about!