You’re preparing to ROCK April 7-8, 2018 at the Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon presented by WRAL.
Good news–we’re working on ways to improve the half marathon course for 2018. Although the Carolinas are known for their rolling hills, we’re always looking for ways to enhance and flatten the course for a better participant experience.
We want to make sure you’re prepared for what to expect over 13.1 miles. Spoiler alert–those hills will be tough, but this course outline should be used as a key part of your training toolkit. Read this play by play of your course and get ready for an awesome race day! For full elevation details, visit our Course Map page.
Half Marathon Course
- Mile 1: McDowell Street: expect a steady and slight incline as soon as you start going up McDowell street. This incline continues on North Wilmington street.
- Mile 2: Blount Street: After about the first mile and a half, you’ve earned some downhill. Blount street is a steady downhill grade.
- Moore Square- Look to your left. Can you spot the giant acorn as you pass the park?
- Before you hit Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, you’ll pass by Shaw University, founded in 1865.
- Mile 3: Chavis Way: Expect a steep, quick downhill.
- Mile 4: Bloodworth Street: You’re climbing again. But don’t worry, the historic Oakwood residential area will keep your mind off the climb.
- Mile 5: Watauga St. at Brookside Dr: You’ll pass the expansive 102-acre historic Oakwood Cemetery on your right. Get ready for a steep hill ahead.
- Mile 6: Glascock St.: You’ll hit a steep hill and some speed bumps (literally) in the road. You’ve got this.
- Mile 7: Peace St.: You’ve earned it. Time for some downhill. There will be rolling hills along this long stretch of road.
- Pass by Peace College, St. Mary’s High School and the charming shops of Cameron Village.
- Mile 8: Gardner Street: Hang a left once you hit the North Carolina State University campus, passing by the N.C. State Memorial Bell Tower.
- Mile 9: You’ve hit Pullen Road and pass by Pullen Park to hang another left on Western Blvd. Here you’ll pass by the WRAL studios and onto Western Blvd.
- Mile 10-11: Hunt Dr.: Hang a right onto Hunt Drive which is a steady incline to the top. Once you’re inside Dorothea Dix Park there are rolling hills throughout.
- Mile 12: Boylan Street: The LAST hill of the course!
- Mile 13: You made it! Congrats half marathoner! You pushed through until the end! Now go join the rest of your friends and family at the Toyota Headliner Concert Series post race concert!