Before a run, you want to provide your muscles with carbohydrates to store and use during your workout. Paired with a bit of protein, it’s able to have a slower absorption rate into the bloodstream so you have a steady burn – not a burnout. Nothing is worse than crashing from a violent blood sugar high, especially while training! Try these power-packed snacks to give your body the best of both worlds and keep your energy levels high the whole way to the finish line.
5 Pre-Run Snacks
1) Banana with Almond Butter: The banana offers burnable fuel for the body while the almond butter packs protein and slows down the absorption of fruit sugar for a slower, sustainable burn.
2) Piece of Gluten Free Toast with Hummus: You don’t want to eat a fibrous, grainy piece of wheat bread that your tummy may need to wrestle. Choose a light gluten free piece and slather it with your favorite dairy free hummus for a delicious and energy packed snack.
3) A Green Smoothie: These guys are awesome because you don’t have to digest too heavily since the blender does most of the work for you and you can pack so many things inside. My favorite simple blend before a workout is 1 cup coconut water, ½ cup almond milk 1 handful of spinach, ½ banana, 1 handful of strawberries, 1 scoop of brown rice or whey protein powder, 1 T cacao. Added perk – cacao is packed with magnesium to help your muscles loosen up and prevent cramping.
4) Antioxidant Bowl: Mix ½ cup blueberries with 2T almonds and enjoy! Simple, delicious, and contains protein, fats, and carbs in a great ratio to keep your body powered up through your run.
5) Turkey Slices and Carrot/Orange Juice: This combo is the perfect marriage of protein and easily digestible carbohydrates that packs beta carotene, Vitamin C, and deliciousness. Try Suja Fuel for a convenient, organic, unheated option on the go!!!