Coach Paul Greer of the San Diego Track Club has been helping runners train for the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon & 1/2 for 20 years running! In this series, we’ll feature tips, workouts and programs, courtesy of Coach, that will help you conquer your first or 100th marathon!
During the 30 years of coaching the San Diego Track Club many people have approached me who are taking up the sport of running for the first time. Here are a few guidelines to follow as you begin and continue with the lifelong activity of running:
- Keep in mind that everyone improves at a different rate and some people can jog for an hour after 4 weeks, others take 4 months or a year to reach that point. Don’t get discouraged. Continue to work at your aerobic level and listen to your own body. Eventually you will get there.
- Your reward from running done gradually, comfortably, and pleasantly will be a new life. You will look and feel better physically and mentally.
- Think of running and exercise in terms of frequency not intensity, pleasure not pain. Use it as a reward to yourself.
- In warm weather, run early in the mornings or evenings.
- Exercise is cumulative so look for the long term results.
- Vary your running periodically and this will keep running a fresh experience.
Finally, think positive thoughts and you will improve.
About Coach Paul Greer
Coach Paul Greer is Professor in Health and Exercise Science at San Diego City College and has a Master’s Degree in Exercise Science and 32 years coaching experience. A top San Diego section miler at St. Augustine High School, Greer was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame in 1995. After high school he went on to become the school record holder for 1500 meters at San Diego State. His 3:42.44 still stands as the best mark in school history.
Greer also ran the mile in under four minutes (3:59.79), was a 1992 U.S. Olympic Trials qualifier at 1500 meters with a 3:39.05 and competed on the tough European track circuit as a post collegian. In addition to teaching at San Diego City, Greer also coaches for the San Diego Track Club; the largest running club in San Diego. He works with over 500 runners and is the Director for the Rockin N Runnin full and half marathon training program preparing athletes every year for San Diego’s Rock N Roll marathon/half marathon in June. Recently, he was selected to be the Men’s Coach for Team USA’s Senior (20-35) and Junior’s teams (19 and under) at the Great Edinburgh Cross Country Championships. Greer’s workouts cater for runners of all ages and abilities and he provides training schedules to his athletes on an individual basis.
Coach Paul Greer was featured in The Game Changer, the debut episode of Milestones, a video series that celebrates and commemorate the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series history.