By Nancy Clark, MS, RD, CSSD
How you refuel for your recovery during marathon and half marathon training can make the difference in the way you feel and perform during your next workout. More than 20 studies support the benefits of recovering with the high-quality protein and nutrients in lowfat chocolate milk after a tough workout.
As a registered dietitian and Team CHOCOLATE MILK expert, here are a few trustworthy tips that are backed by science for proper recovery after all of your training sessions.
- After exercise, your body wants an adequate supply of :
- Protein to reduce muscle breakdown and stimulate growth
- Carbohydrates to refuel depleted muscle glycogen
- Fluid and electrolytes to rehydrate the body to replenish what’s lost in sweat
- Plan ahead so you can eat well by having the right foods readily available at the right times. You cannot out-train a poor sports diet!
- If your training session will exceed 60 to 90 minutes, make sure to consume some fuel during the exercise to help maintain your energy! Popular mid-workout snacks include dried pineapple, (or other dried fruit) gels and electrolyte drinks, and sports performance gummy candy. Experiment during training to learn what works best with your body.
- What you eat after you work out is just as important as what you eat beforehand! Having a post-exercise recovery routine can enhance your performance at your next workout session, help reduce the risk of injury and boost your overall well-being as an athlete. Lowfat chocolate milk is a popular and effective recovery food and tastes yummy!
- As you know, your muscles get damaged during strenuous training sessions. Drinking lowfat chocolate milk after hard workouts gives your body high-quality protein with all the essential amino acids that have been scientifically shown to help build and repair lean muscle.
To learn more about the BUILT WITH CHOCOLATE MILK program, the science behind the recovery benefits of lowfat chocolate milk or access exclusive training tips and videos, log on to builtwithchocolatemilk.com. Follow us on Instagram (@BuiltWithChocolateMilk), like us on Facebook/builtwithchocolatemilk or join the conversation by using the hashtag #Buildit on Twitter @chocolate_milk.
About Sports Dietitian Nancy Clark, MS, RD, CSSD:
Nancy is a Boston-area registered dietitian (RD) and board certified specialist in sports dietetics (CSSD) offering sports nutrition counseling to casual exercisers and competitive athletes. She teaches athletes how to have more energy, lose undesired body fat, enjoy a winning sports diet—and feel good about their eating. Her clients have included the spectrum from Olympians and members of the Boston Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics to ordinary mortals—fitness exercisers, student athletes, and weekend warriors—and many Ironman triathletes. Her best-selling Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook is a popular resource.