Interested in dating a marathon runner? There are some things you should know!
- Check your foot fetish at the door. Feet don’t look pretty after running 50+ km per week. (about 30 miles)
- Back, leg and feet massages are expected at least twice a week to relieve tired, sore, and aching muscles.
- Expect long naps on Sunday afternoons.
- Don’t be surprised when you get a hot, sweaty, salty hugs and kisses.
- Late nights and sleeping in on weekends doesn’t happen; getting up early on weekends to run is more important.
- There’s no such thing as a diet and eating carbs is a good thing.
- You’ll be expected to be at every race, holding signs and taking pictures along the race route and be at the finish line with warm clothes in hand.
- Gift giving is easy – pedicures, running shorts, running shoes, massages, or even a foam roller will all impress.
- You’ll be constantly asked to go for a run, even if you don’t run.
- There are some disgusting things that happen that aren’t always talked about.
- Proposing at 32k (the wall aka almost 20 miles) during a marathon race could be the most romantic thing that could ever happen. (hint hint)
- Pretend and show interest in topics that you know nothing about they can they talk about for hours, like running gels, hill training, or how great running on a cool morning with light rain on race day is.
- There will be a box or drawer full of race bibs, medals, maps and other miscellaneous race souvenirs.
- Sunday brunch will always happen after a long run.
- There is always a pile of spandex and technical shirts needing to be laundered.
Still thinking about dating a marathon runner? You’ve been warned!