A common misconception is that eating specific foods will help you drop incredible amounts of weight in a short period of time. The truth is, losing weight is a lot simpler than it seems. The number of calories that are spent each day must be greater than the number of calories consumed – do this, and the weight will likely fall off. The question is, how do you consume an appropriate number of calories each day while managing the derailing effects of hunger and cravings? Five food types you should eat to help you lose weight — while keeping that growling stomach in check — are listed below:
- Apples contain a healthy dose of fiber and nutrients – all wrapped up in a portable, inexpensive, and filling package. An apple before a meal will blunt hunger pangs and generally helps moderate portion sizes throughout the subsequent meal. All the chewing involved with eating an apple helps the brain feel like something larger was eaten, too.
- Lean proteins – Proteins, especially the lean varieties, are ideally suited for helping active individuals lose weight. A protein-packed breakfast is a smart
idea, as it generally provides a feeling of “fullness” that lasts longer than a carb-intensive or sugary breakfast option. Eggs, sausage, and bacon can be consumed, but it is often better to start the day with leaner options like egg whites or lean turkey sausage.
- Pureed vegetables – The idea here isn’t to sit down and enjoy a heaping bowl of pureed vegetables each day – though that would certainly be a healthy, if not exciting option. Rather, seek ways to include pureed vegetables into your existing meals. For example, if you are making lasagna, add a cup or two of pureed zucchini or cauliflower between noodle layers for a nutrient-packed dose that will fill you up faster and reduce your overall caloric intake.
- Soup – First off, eliminate anything that starts with “cream of…” Soups with clear or dark broth, lots of vegetables, and lean proteins are the ideal combination. But timing is truly the important part when consuming soup. Start each lunch or dinner meal with a moderately-sized bowl of healthy soup, and you’ll find that the amount consumed during the meal is substantially less.
- Beans – There are few meals that aren’t enhanced by the addition of beans. Soups are heartier when kidney, Great Northern, or pinto beans are added. Mexican dinners aren’t complete without chili, pinto, or healthy refried beans, and salads are that much tastier when garbanzo, kidney, or any of your other favorite beans are added. But the real benefit comes from the intense fiber kick that is delivered by beans – and that translates into feeling fuller for a longer period of time and better digestive tract health.
Health experts agree that an individual’s diet is the driving factor in weight loss. While exercise is an absolute necessity for those looking to get healthy, it is nearly impossible to do so if the diet isn’t managed closely. These five foods to eat to lose weight will help you to trim body fat and get healthy!