With hot and humid weather conditions predicted for Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach, the medical team wants to give you a few tips to make this a fun and safe event. Preparation actually begins before the race, making sure you are well-hydrated and have plenty of salt on-board.
- Remember to complete the Medical Information on the back of your race bib.
- Take some salt. Before your race, add a salt pack to a cup of fluid and drink it. Salt packets will be available at the start line refreshment stand and also from race officials within your starting corrals. Salt packets can also be found on course at all medical stations.
- Don’t over-exert yourself. If you’re feeling hot, slow down to a comfortable pace and ease up.
- Don’t over-drink. Drink when you are thirsty and no more. Carry extra water with you if you feel you may need sips between water stations.
- Make use of the on-course cooling elements. Take a break in shaded areas along the route for a quick breather.
- If you don’t feel right, stop at a medical station to get checked out or stop any race or city official you see on course who can help you seek assistance.
Keep an eye out for the following cooling elements on course:
- Water stations & Gatorade Endurance stations.
- Misting/spray zones at mile 6, 8 and 10.2
- Cooling stations on course
- Popsicles and cool drinks available in the Finish Line Secure Zone.
- Additional course support is listed here.
To read the full Women’s Running Hot Race Day Tips, click here.