How To Register
Registering is easy! You may register for any Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in two ways.
- Register Online
- Request an entry form by mail. Please contact us and we will be happy to mail a form to you. All registrations submitted by paper entry form will be charged a $15 Green Fee for processing. We do not accept phone entries.
Please enter only once. If you fax or register online, do not mail a hard copy. Do not send multiple faxes or online entries.
Don’t know if you are registered for the 2016 Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon? Click here to confirm.
Personalize Your Bib
You can submit 12 characters (including spaces) to be printed on your bib number when you register online before the event deadline. Simply type your message into the Personalize your Bib field during registration. Beware of using symbols as not all symbols will print correctly on bib numbers.
- All participants must attend the Health & Fitness Expo on either Friday, September 2rd or Saturday, September 3rd at Virginia Beach Convention Center to pick up their packets. Sunday Half Marathon and 5K packets and participant items will not be available at the Saturday Mile on the Sand event.
**Race changes are only allowed up to 8 weeks prior to race day. Please visit our Event Timelines page for event specific deadlines
Switching from a LONGER distance to a SHORTER distance
- Before the event deadline: If you would like to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance, simply email this request along with your first name, last name, the mailing address that you registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service.
- After the event deadline:
- If you decide to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance that will take place on the same day as your current registration, simply show up to the start line of the desired distance on race morning and your timing tag will reflect the change. You can visit the corral change table in the Check-In area of the Expo for information on the appropriate corral to start in.
- If you decide to switch from a longer distance to the shorter distance that will take place on a different day of the Remix Challenge Weekend, please pick up your assigned bib number at the Expo and proceed to the “Solutions” table.
Switching from a SHORTER distance to a LONGER distance
- Before the event deadline: To upgrade from a shorter distance to alonger distance simply email this request along with your first name, last name and mailing address registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service. The early upgrade fee is $10 plus the cost difference between the desired distance’s current fee and the fee that was paid at the time of the original registration. (processing fee is not used in calculating price difference)
- After the event deadline: If you would like to switch from a shorter distance to a longer distance, you will need to pay an upgrade fee at the Expo. Please pick up your assigned bib number and proceed to the “Solutions” table. You will be charged $10 plus the cost difference between the desired distance’s expo fee and the fee that was paid at the time of the original registration. (processing fee is not used in calculating price difference)
The start line corral system allows for a smooth race start for participants of varying speeds. Based on the estimated finish time that you provide on your race entry form, you are assigned a race number and corresponding corral, along with other participants of similar running pace.
Before the event deadline: If you would like to change your corral/predicted finish time for your race, simply email your request along with your first name, last name, the mailing address that you registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service.
After the event deadline: If your training has gone better than expected and you would like to move up to a faster corral, pick up your race number at the Health & Fitness Expo and then proceed to the “Corral Change” table to be re-assigned to the appropriate corral. To move back to a slower corral, simply start in that corral on race morning. No official corral change is necessary.
Registration Refund Program provided by Transamerica
Great News! With Registration Refund provided by Transamerica you can request a 100% registration fee refund if you are unable to participate due to a specific covered reason. To qualify, you must select the Registration Refund option at the time of registration. You may then receive a registration fee refund if you are unable to participate due to any of the following reasons:
Bad things like:
Injury, unforeseen illness, family member injury or illness, family member loss of life, involuntary job loss, unexpected travel delays (that are covered under the policy).
Good things like:
Pregnancy, childbirth, family member pregnancy or childbirth.
Other reasons including:
Active duty military deployment, permanent job relocation.
Note: A Qualified Medical Practitioner must certify illness, injury or pregnancy refund requests.
Click here to learn more and review the program’s FAQs.
Click here to download a copy of the terms and conditions and the refund request form.
Note: Purchase of registration refund MUST be done at the time of your original registration, no exceptions.
If a registration refund is not purchased at the time of registration, entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and entries are NON-TRANSFERABLE. Sorry, no exceptions. Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate. You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. You also may not transfer your application to the following year or to another Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series event.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. No exceptions.
- Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate (unless you have selected Transamerica’s Registration Refund Policy); you may not give or sell your race number to anyone else, and you may not transfer your entry fee to future races.
- If you attempt to sell your race number, you may be banned from future Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series and affiliated events for three years.
- You must be at least 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon. You must be 8 years old to participate in the 5K. You must be 6 years old to participate in the Mile on the Sand.
- You must be in good health and physically prepared to take on the challenge of a Half Marathon.
- You must show photo ID to receive your race number and timing chip.
- You must pick up your own race packet and race number at the Health & Fitness Expo.
- Race numbers are required to be worn at all times during the race.
- No coaches, bikes, in-line skates, skateboards, baby joggers or dogs will be allowed on the course.
- Overall winners will not qualify for their age group category awards.
Parking & Transportation
2015 PARKING & TRANSPORTATION INFORMATION
RACE DAY PARKING
The Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach™ Half Marathon and 5K Start Line is located on 19th Street in front of the Virginia Beach Convention Center. The Finish Line is on the Boardwalk at 13th Street. The Start and the Finish are approximately one and a half miles apart. There will be no race day parking at either location. Please follow the directions below for easiest access. CARPOOLING AND EARLY ARRIVAL ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!
TO THE START FROM THE OCEANFRONT BEFORE 6 AM
If you are staying or live near the Virginia Beach resort area along the ocean, you can walk to the Start or take our FREE shuttle buses to the Start, which will run from the Oceanfront from 4:30 AM to 6:00 AM. NO OCEANFRONT BUSES AFTER 6 AM DUE TO ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE RACE.
There will be six shuttle pick up spots on Atlantic Ave., located at: 11th St., 19th St., 28th St., 33rd St., 40th St., 57th St.
If you are staying or live in the Virginia Beach resort area, it is strongly recommended that you walk to your chosen race viewing location. The Start, Finish and much of the race course are within walking distance of the oceanfront hotels. If you must drive and park, there are some city parking lots with limited parking available near the Start and around the resort area.
Do not attempt to drive to the Start Line! There is NO public parking at the start and many roads will be closed.
VIRGINIA BEACH AMPHITHEATER (FARM BUREAU LIVE) PARKING SHUTTLES
This free shuttle service will be for both runners and spectators and will run from 4:30 AM to 6:00 AM. The bus ride is approximately 20 minutes.
From the 264 freeway:
•Exit Independence Boulevard (exit 17A), stay in the right hand lane and continue south on Independence.
•Turn left at Princess Anne Road, then right at Concert Drive to the Amphitheatre entrance.
There is plenty of free parking at the Amphitheatre and far less traffic than in the resort area.
START LINE DROP OFF – NEW INFORMATION FOR 2015!
Participants and Spectators
If you are being dropped off at the Start, the drop off zone is located at the Virginia Beach Visitors Center at 2100 Parks Avenue. Take I 264 E to Park Ave and follow Event Staff directions to drop-off point. Runners should proceed south on Parks Ave. towards the start line in front of the Virginia Beach Convention Center. Please use the crosswalk. After drop-off, cars can park in the parking lots indicated on the diagram or other smaller private lots in the area. Be advised that these are pay parking lots and typically charge $8 to $10 or more. If you choose this option, be prepared to arrive early as parking in these lots is very limited and many roads will be closed by 6 AM.
SHUTTLE BUSSES FROM THE FINISH
All Participants and Spectators
Return shuttle busses will operate at the finish area starting from 8:30 AM (once all half marathon participants have cleared Atlantic Ave. at approximately mile 3) to 12:30 PM. There will be two shuttle routes, one back to the Virginia Beach Amphitheatre and one back up Atlantic Avenue to the northern resort hotel stops used on the early morning route.
Both return shuttle routes are available to participants and spectators. The return shuttle boarding location for the Amphitheatre will be on the west side of the1800 block of Atlantic Avenue. The return shuttle boarding location for the hotels will be on the east side of the 1800 block of Atlantic Avenue.
BE ADVISED: THERE WILL BE NO SHUTTLE BUS SERVICE BACK TO THE START
RIDE WITH UBER
Uber is a mobile application that connects rides to drivers with the push of a button. In minutes, a car will be curbside, ready to take you wherever you ned to go. Enter promo code RNRVB15 for a free ride up to $20 (new users only)!
1. Download the free Uber app
2. Enter the promo code
3. Request your ride
Get started now: uber.com/app
Before you enter your assigned corral, drop-off your pre-race/post-race clothing and belongings at Gear Check. While you run, your gear will be held at Gear Check and available for your collection when you have completed your race.
Each participant will receive a large, durable gear bag at the Health & Fitness Expo when you pick up your packet that will serve as your gear bag on race day. Gear Check trucks will be arranged alphabetically and by truck number near the Start Line. Attach your gear tag to your gear bag before you leave it with the Gear Check crew. After the race, reclaim your checked bag at the designated Gear Check area.
Please note: DO NOT leave valuables, cash or jewelry in your gear bag. The event is not responsible for any lost items. Gear bags must be claimed before close of the Finish Line Festival on race day.
In an effort to provide each participant with as streamlined a run as possible, a Wave Start will be implemented at Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon.
Participants are assigned an appropriate corral based on their projected finishing time, as submitted at registration. The corrals are then released in waves, in order to space out starting participants and minimize crowding. Typically, there are multiple waves assigned to the most common finishing times. All spectators should be aware of this when organizing their viewing schedule for the day.
- When the starting gun fires, the first corral is released. The rest of the participants will be held at the start line.
- At pre-determined intervals the next corral will be released, and then the next.
- By using this staggered starting method, the pack will be spread out and allow every runner to settle into their racing rhythm from the first step right to the finish line.
To ensure that roads reopen to vehicular traffic at the scheduled times, course time limits will be STRICTLY ENFORCED. Participants must maintain a pace faster than the course time limits in order to complete the race on closed city streets. Cut-off locations will be enforced on the course; runners or walkers who do not reach the cut-off location by the communicated time will be advanced forward on the course, or shuttled to the finish line area. Please note – cut-off times are calculated based on participants’ timing tag time, not starting gun time. Course time limits begin when the last participant and Tail Vehicle cross the start line.
If a participant’s pace falls below the course time limit, they have several options:
- Increase their pace to stay within the event’s minimum pace;
- Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or
- If the participant cannot continue, they may board a sag wagon to be dropped off at the next shuttle location, at a nearby medical station. The participant will be seen by a Medical Team Captain to be cleared for the medical shuttle before being transported to the finish line.
The course time limit for Virginia Beach is 4 hours.
Information Booths and Lost & Found
Information Booths will be positioned at the start and finish to assist you with any race day questions and to help you find your way. The Information Booths will also serve as the race day Lost & Found. Any valuables found at the start or finish should be turned in to the Information Booth. Unclaimed items from the start will be transported to the finish.
Any valuable items NOT claimed at the finish by 3pm will be trucked back to our San Diego office. To claim a lost item after the event, please contact Competitor Group at 800-311-1255.
The Medical Team is a dedicated group of multidisciplinary medical professionals, available to help assess your race day medical needs and administer acute first aid when necessary.
Numerous medical stations will be located at the Finish as well as at the Start, and along the course. Look for large RED and WHITE tents and for medical volunteers dressed in RED shirts for medical assistance before, during and after the race.
State of the art ChronoTrack systems will be used to record participants’ times at the start, at certain splits along the courses and at the finish. The ChronoTrack system uses a disposable tag, called a D Tag, which allows you to walk away from the finish without needing to have your tag collected.
The ChronoTrack timing tag (D Tag) will be attached to your race bib when you collect your race packet. The D Tag will be labeled with a number that matches your race number. When you pick up your bib, please make sure these numbers match, and also verify that YOUR name is printed on the bib you are issued*. Proceed to the Solutions Table if any of the information is incorrect.
Prior to the race, you must remove the tag from your race bib and attach it to your shoe. Please follow the instructions provided in your registration packet.
PLEASE NOTE: ChronoTrack timing tags must be worn on your shoe in order to have your time correctly recorded. ChampionChip timing equipment will NOT be used at this race; ChampionChip timing chips will NOT record your time.
*If you register for the race before online registration closes, your ChronoTrack timing tag should have your name printed on it.
Visit chronotrack.com for more information.
Rock ‘n’ Roll has always been a way to express yourself and connect with others. To say, “This is who I am. This is who we are.” To rage against the things that you know in your heart need to change. To begin a movement.
Since 1998, Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series runners have raised over $310 million for hundreds of Charity Partners. In Virginia Beach, we strive to leave a lasting change by enabling participants the chance to make a real difference by raising money for local and national causes they care about.
Your cause is the Heart of Rock ‘n’ Roll.
We’ve teamed up with everydayhero so all our runners can make every step count and fundraise for their favorite charity. It’s simple. When you register, pick the charity you’d like to fundraise for, create your page and set a goal. Then do your thing.
This year, we’ve set a big goal: One Year. 17 cities. 450,000 runners. $10 million raised.
This is your call to greatness. Turn your Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon event into a fundraiser for the charity of your choice. Because if you run, you rock. If you run ‘n’ raise, you ROCK harder!
Are you a charity interested in getting involved in a bigger way?
Running across the finish line is an amazing personal accomplishment. Give your race even more meaning by joining a charity training program from one of our Official Training Partners! Make an impact while training with new friends that will last a lifetime.
Imagine a race where hope marks the finish line. Make it a reality when you run as a St. Jude Hero to support the lifesaving work at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital®.
St. Jude has changed the way the world treats childhood cancer and other deadly diseases. Children from all 50 states and from around the world have come through the doors of St. Jude for treatment and thousands more around the world have benefited from our research. And no family ever pays St. Jude for anything.
As a St. Jude Hero, you’ll cross the finish line knowing that you truly Run for a Reason. To learn more about becoming a St. Jude Hero, visit fundraising.stjude.org or contact us at Jacey.Bender@stjude.org.
Eastern Virginia Medical School Foundation
Eastern Virginia Medical School is an academic medical center dedicated to improving the health of our community
Email: email@example.com Phone: 757-961-3322
Move for Hunger
Race Against Hunger! Join Move For Hunger and help provide meals to families in need across the US.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 732-832-5025
NephCure Kidney International
NephCure Kidney International supports research seeking the cause of the potentially debilitating kidney disease FSGS and Nephrotic Syndrome.
Email: email@example.com Phone: 610-540-0186
Once you cross the finish line, you’ll enter the Secure Zone, a fenced off area designated for participants only. In the Secure Zone, receive your finisher’s medal, have your photo taken and refuel with water, snacks and refreshments. Once you leave the Secure Zone, you cannot re-enter. Just beyond the Secure Zone you can retrieve your gear bag and join family and friends for the Finish Line Festival.
After the race, reunite with family and friends in the Family Reunion area and relish in your post race accomplishment with refreshments and live music at the finish line stage. With a large number of participants and thousands of excited spectators, it can be difficult to locate friends and family without a plan. It is highly recommended that you designate a meet-up location for friends and family BEFORE the race in the Family Reunion area. The Family Reunion area will post tall, clearly-marked signs by Letter (A – Z), so be sure to coordinate and plan to meet at a pre-determined letter.
Age Group Awards
Age group awards will be presented 3-deep in all divisions, for both the marathon (where applicable) and half marathon, for male and female categories. Top 3 overall male and females are excluded from the age-group awards and can only receive one prize. Awards will be mailed within 4 to 6 weeks of results being finalized. In accordance with USATF Rules, overall and cash awards will be determined by gun time while age group awards will be determined by your ChronoTrack time.