PRIZE MONEY PROGRAM AND POLICY FOR MARATHON
Please note that we have already completed our elite athlete squads, but general public registrations are still open.
- All values are in Canadian currency CAD$.
- All prize money is restricted to athletes in the elite field on the marathon race unless indicated otherwise.
Elite Open Prize Money
The top male and female runners in the elite field will win:
- 1st – $10,000
- 2nd – $5,000
- 3rd – $3,000
- 4th – $2,000
- 5th – $1,500
Elite Performance Bonus*
- Sub 2:13.00: $1,000
- Sub 2:32.00: $1,000
*For 1st place only, based on «gun» time.
Canadian Elites Prize Money
Prize money for Canadian Elite athletes is open to any Canadian citizen in the elite field who is registered member at Athletics Canada. The top 3 men and women will get:
- 1st – $1,500
- 2nd – $1,000
- 3rd – $750
If a Canadian athlete finishes in the top 5 of the Elite Open class, the Canadian Elite prize money is added to the Elite Open prize money.
Québec Elite Athletes Prize Money
Québec athletes prize money is open to any Canadian citizens residing in Québec and registered members of the Fédération Québécoise d’Athlétisme.
The top 2 male and female athletes in this category will get;
- 1st – $1,000
- 2nd – $750
Athletes in this category are also eligible for Elite Open and Canadian Elite prize money. Prize money is cumulative for Canadian and Québec athletes among the top 5 Elites.
Elite Athlete Policy and Guidelines
The Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) believes in fair and transparent treatment of all athletes regardless of nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation and expects all the visiting athletes to treat fellow athletes, agents, volunteers, sponsors and organizers with the same respect and receive the same respect. We also respect the privacy of all participants. Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) also believes in the value of fair play and sportsmanship and expect all athletes to compete under the rules of the IAAF and WADA.
Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) therefore follows the described policies when it comes to elite athletes & their agents. These policies are applicable unless there is an agreement between the organization and the athlete/agent that precedes it.
Expectations of an Athlete Participating in the Marathon International Oasis de Montréal (MIMO)
Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) will always work to ensure you are fully aware of the expectations for you and work to ensure your primary purpose, racing well, is first and foremost looked after. As a visiting athlete who has received Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) benefits such as travel, accommodation and race entry, the following is expected of the athlete.
- Be cooperative and respectful of our staff, partners, sponsors and volunteers who all make this event possible.
- Be cooperative and respectful of other athletes and their agents.
- Play fair and follow the rules of the sport. Attend the technical meeting to ensure you are aware of any event critical specific information to prevent being disqualified.
- Make all efforts to be available for press conferences or media appearances.
- Make all efforts to comply with organizers request for attending other support events such as for example school or sponsor appearances, VIP receptions.
- Under no circumstance attend functions or events that are commercially or politically beneficial to organizations or companies by having the athlete attend. We brought you to the event, we must always know what public or private functions you are attending and for what reasons.
Failure to comply may lead to you not being invited back in the future or possibly even challenge the money being paid to you.
Booking Payment and Travel
In the cases where Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) is providing travel compensation (flights, hotel, rail, taxi, etc.) to the athlete and/or agent, Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) expects the following to apply:
- To facilitate the athletes preferred travel schedule the athlete/agent is responsible for booking their personal travel arrangements.
- All travel will always be in economy class at the best available rate.
- There is no restriction on which airline carrier can be used.
- Always notify Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) as soon as possible in case of travel changes and delays to ensure we can arrange for your local travel and media appearances (as applicable).
- Reimbursement of travel will be made at the time of the awards ceremony on the day of the race unless the athlete is selected for a doping test. In this case, the payment will be processed after we have received notification that there are no results associated with the test. Historically, the cycle of the doping test takes about 5 weeks.
Where Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) has agreed to provide the athlete/agent with accommodations during their stay, the following will apply:
- Rooms are booked on a double occupancy basis and unless prearranged, the room will be shared with another elite athlete.
- The athlete will be required to provide a credit card upon check-in to cover any incidental charges such as phone, internet, movies, etc. Any incidental charges not paid will be taken off the appearance/prize money or invoiced to the athlete/agent afterwards.
- Any damage to the hotel will be paid for by the athlete/agent and may be deducted of their appearance/prize monies. Athlete are expected to treat other hotel guests and staff with respect and courtesy
- The checkout time of the hotel must be followed and is typically noon of the day they are departing. If the athlete is departing late on Sunday, the elite athlete suite will be available to wait in until 6 p.m.
Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) fully complies and cooperates with the programs in place by Athletics Canada, Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sports, the IAAF and WADA and we expect all athletes to also play fair. Athletes under any kind of suspension by these governing bodies will not be allowed to compete, however Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) does not extend additional bans on Athletes beyond the bans in place by CCES, CAS and WADA.
Payment of Prize Money Policy
All the Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) prize money awards are paid by check on the day of the event, unless the athlete has been selected for the IAAF Doping tests, in which case payment will be made processed after we received notice that there was no result associated with the test. Historically, the cycle of the doping test takes about 5 weeks.
Additional Helpful Hints
- Applying for a VISA: Make sure that you have an invitation from the organization. Make sure that any previous international travel by the athlete is well documented in the application. Athletes or their agents are fully responsible for the requested travel documents.
- Travel: Some airlines no longer provide meals as part of the fare but only provide it with payment from a credit card. If this is the case, ensure that the athlete either takes money to buy food in the airport, has a credit card to pay for a meal or has a meal pre-paid for as part of the ticket.
- Canada Border Services Agency:
- As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA.
- Familiarize yourself with CBSA rules prior to travel
- Make sure that the athlete carries the invitation from the organization with them as customs has been known to request it to ensure the athlete has a place to stay, costs covered & etc. Having a visa alone is not always sufficient.
- Make sure the running shoes do NOT have any mud on them. If they do, customs may decide to confiscate them or clean them (but there is a charge for this).
- Never travel with food, or if you do you must declare it in which case it may be confiscated.
The Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) supports the dedication and commitment of elite athletes competing in the Montréal races by offering an attractive prize money structure including a bonus structure.
Prize money for the Marathon international Oasis de Montréal (MIMO) is available only to athletes who pre-register for either race through the Elite athlete application form. Athletes who register through open registration will not be eligible.
We are looking for international athletes capable of sub 2:17 (men), sub 2:40 (women) for Marathon. All seed performances submitted will be verified through the IAAF rankings and race results.*
Elite athletes must meet the outlined athletic standards to be eligible for elite athlete status.*
- Elite A Standard receives complimentary entry, travel and accommodation assistance**, and front line access
- Elite B Standard receives complimentary entry and front line access
- For guaranteed entry, athlete must apply for elite status by July 19, 2019.
*Acceptance or refusal of the athlete will be determined upon agreement with the MIMO Invitations manager.
**Travel assistance or accommodation will be provided upon agreement with the MIMO Invitations manager.
Athletic Standards – Male
|Elite A standard||Elite B standard||Qualifying window|
|10 km||Sub 29:00||Sub 31:00||Must have run standard since January 1, 2018|
|Half-marathon||Sub 1:06.00||Sub 1:08:30||Same as above|
|Marathon||Sub 2:17.00||Sub 2:30.00||Same as above|
Athletic Standards – Female
|Elite A standard||Elite B standard||Qualifying window|
|10 km||Sub 34:00||Sub 36:00||Must have run standard since January 1, 2018|
|Half-marathon||Sub 1:18.00||Sub 1:22.00||Same as above|
|Marathon||Sub 2:40.00||Sub 2:50.00||Same as above|