Help support your community, as well as the thousands of runners and walkers by volunteering! With over 1,500 opportunities available, there is a spot for everyone; including teams, corporate groups, family and friends. Click the blue “Race Crew” button below to volunteer for the Race Crew.RACE CREW SIGNUP
*HAVE A GROUP INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING? Please contact our Volunteer Director at [email protected]*
If you are a medical professional, or a volunteer interested in gaining medical experience, join our Sports Medicine Team! Click the red “Medical Signup” button to volunteer for the Sports Medicine Team.Medical Team Signup
Race Crew volunteers assist with nearly every aspect of the event, including the Health & Fitness Expo, 5k, Start Line, Finish Line, and the Water Stations along the course. Click the blue “Race Crew” buttons to sign up online as a Race Crew Volunteer. *HAVE A GROUP INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING? Please contact our Volunteer Director at [email protected]*
- Location: San Diego Convention Center, Halls G & H
- Friday, May 31 – 10:00am to 3:00pm | 2:00pm to 7:00pm | 'All Day' available
- Saturday, June 1 – 8:00am to 1:30pm | 12:30pm to 5:30pm | ‘All Day’ available
- Location: Balboa Park
- 5:30am to 9:30am
- Location: Balboa Park
- Start Line - 4:15am to 8:00am
- Gear Check @ Start Line - 4:15am to 8:00am
- Location: Waterfront Park
- Finish Line - 5:30am to 2:30pm
- Gear Return @ Finish Line - 6:45am to 2:30pm
- Location: Varied along course
Crucial Shift: Varied Shifts
*HAVE A GROUP INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING? Please contact our Volunteer Director at [email protected]*RACE CREW SIGNUP
The Sports Medicine Team is dedicated to providing rapid assessment and administering acute first aid service to event participants. The team is made up of volunteers from many medical institutions within the local community. Whether you’re at the start, along the course, or at the finish, you fill an important role of our program. Click the red “Medical Signup” link to volunteer! Shift times vary by location and are shown during registration.Medical Team Signup
- Official Race Crew Dri-FIT Tee
- Official Medical Volunteer T-shirt
- Earn volunteer service hours & have a great time!
- Race Crew Drawstring Backpack
- Support Great Causes & Thousands of Participants!
RACE CREW VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENTS
How are positions assigned?
All positions are assigned in-person at Volunteer Check In when your shift begins. We do this to remain as flexible as possible. This helps ensure that our participants have a great experience. If you do have a position preference, please let us know when you check-in for your shift.
What positions are available?
Below is a description of every position available at each of the volunteer shifts. Please note that not all positions and shifts listed below will be available in every city. For a complete listing of available shifts, please refer to the website or to the online registration system.
HEALTH & FITNESS EXPO:
Setup (Wednesday or Thursday only – varies by event)
A behind-the-scenes look at the Expo before it is set up! Race Crew Volunteers are needed to help setup the participant T-shirt area and sometimes the Participant Check In area.
Participant Check In / Registration
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to issue registered participants their race numbers and packets of important information. GREAT FOR GROUPS OF 20-30 (VARIES BY EVENT).
T-shirts & Swag Bags
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to distribute race participant T-shirts and swag bags. GREAT FOR GROUPS OF 10-15.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to stock souvenirs and clothing, as well as assist participants within the store. Race Crew volunteers will not be asked to work with a register or handle cash.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to greet excited participants as they enter the Expo and answer FAQs.
Each corral is numbered and corresponds with the participant’s number (based on estimated finishing time). Race Crew Volunteers are needed to direct participants to the correct corral and to see them off! GREAT FOR LARGE GROUPS OF 20-50 (VARIES BY EVENT).
Each participant is issued a gear bag to be used for any personal items. Race Crew Volunteers are needed to assist participants with checking their gear bags and placing them in the correct numerical order. GREAT FOR GROUPS OF 20-50 (VARIES BY EVENT).
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to set up and distribute water, Gatorade, fruit, and other refreshments to participants before the start of the race.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to point participants in the right direction on race morning. The Start Line venue can be overwhelming, so we need outgoing, vocal volunteers.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to help participants de-board the shuttles from various drop-off locations and direct them to the Start Line.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to play air traffic controller for the day! Volunteers with strong voices will direct participants and cars in the Runner Drop-off zone on race morning.
VIP Gear Check
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to setup and collect VIP gear bags from participants and place them numerically.
Volunteers are needed to staff medical tents and assist runners with minor injuries in the Start Line area. *Please note that Medical volunteer registration is separate from Race Crew Volunteer registration.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to facilitate the organization of gear check bags, and return gear bags to each participant. GREAT FOR GROUPS OF 20-50 (VARIES BY EVENT).
Secure Zone Refreshments
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to distribute water, Gatorade, fruit, PowerBar, Chocolate Milk, and other food items after participants cross the Finish Line. GREAT FOR GROUPS OF 25-50.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to facilitate the organization of gear check bags, and return gear bags to each VIP participant.
Shuttle Pick Up
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to assist participants boarding the shuttles pre and post-race.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to keep time on hand-held stopwatches to ensure the accuracy of the official participant race times.
Volunteers are needed to staff medical tents and assist runners with minor injuries in the Finish Line area. *Please note that Medical volunteer registration is separate from Race Crew volunteer registration.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to hand out water, Gatorade and Gu along the course. Groups may also brand/theme their stations (with approval from the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series). Please direct any questions to the Volunteer Coordinator. GREAT FOR GROUPS OF 20-50.
Relay Transition Zone
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to help setup the on-course relay transition zone, as well as direct participants. GREAT FOR GROUPS OF 10-20.
Race Crew Volunteers are needed to direct participants at any point at which courses diverge. The goal of this group is to ensure that all participants stay on the correct course. GREAT FOR GROUPS OF 5-10.
It is Your Right to:
- To receive the orientation, training and supervision necessary to do the task.
- To feel that your efforts have real purpose and contribute to the organization’s mission.
- To receive feedback and evaluation on the work that you perform.
- To provide input on ways your tasks might be better performed.
- To be treated with respect and as an equal partner within the organization.
- To be trusted with confidential information necessary to carry out your assignment.
- To expect that your time will not be wasted by poor planning or coordination of the event organizers.
- To be covered by event general liability insurance while volunteering during the event.
- To be sent confirmation materials via mail and/or email with instructions and details for the shift(s) you selected.
It Is Your Responsibility:
- Not to take on more responsibility than you can handle.
- To meet time commitments or to provide appropriate notice so alternate arrangements can be made.
- To perform the tasks assigned to you to the best of your ability.
- To remain flexible when being assigned your task(s).
- To follow organizational policies and procedures.
- To respect those confidences entrusted to you.
- To be open-minded and respectful towards opinions shared with you.
- To notify the organization in advance of absences or schedule changes that may affect them.
- To read all confirmation materials sent to you prior to your volunteer shift.