Information below is for the 2019 Michelob Ultra Rock ‘n’ Roll San Jose Half Marathon & 10K on Sunday, October 6, 2019 and for the 5K on Saturday, October 5, 2019.
**Updates and additional information will be posted as available. Information on this page is subject to change.
- Course Map - Half Marathon and 10K *
- Course Map - Saturday 5K*
- Road Closure Grid - Half Marathon, 10K, and Saturday 5K*
- No Parking Zones*- Saturday and Sunday*
- Community Road Closure Notification Brochure *
*Requires free Adobe Reader to view and print
Use the free Waze App on your Smart Phone for point to point directions on race day around road closures!
Be Aware. Plan Ahead
- The Rock ‘n’ Roll San Jose Half Marathon brings approximately 16,000 runners and walkers to San Jose, in addition to tens of thousands of spectators, family and friends.
- Drivers are encouraged to adjust travel time within and around the race course.
- To get the most out of your weekend and minimize stress, be aware of the road closures in your area and plan ahead for an alternate route and extra travel time.
- Join the festivities! San Jose residents are encouraged to visit the free Health & Fitness Expo at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, volunteer during race weekend, or line the course to cheer on participants.
Most road closures and detours will be in effect from 7:00 am-1:00 pm on Sunday and from 7:00 am-10:00 am on Saturday, with a few streets closing earlier and reopening later. At 7:00 am both days, Police and event personnel will implement a soft closure along the entire race course. The Half Marathon on Sunday begin at 8:00 am; the 5K on Saturday begins at 7:30 am. Streets will reopen on a rolling basis when the last participant passes and all course materials have been removed.
Please review the road closure grid and course map for more information. Residents and businesses located near the race course are urged to plan their travel ahead and be aware of road closure schedules and alternate access routes.
Freeway and Ramp Closures
No freeways will be closed on race day, however expect delays on Highway 87 near downtown and Highway 880 near Bascom Avenue, due to the close proximity of the race course. Three freeway ramps will be closed:
|Freeway||Ramp Closed||Time Closed|
|NB Hwy 87||Off-ramp to Santa Clara St.||4 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.|
|NB Hwy 880||Off-ramp southbound to Bascom Ave. (northbound traffic allowed)||6 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.|
|SB Hwy 880||Off-ramp to southbound Bascom Ave. (northbound traffic allowed)||6 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.|
Road Closure Map - Half Marathon & 10k
Click here or see below for an interactive map that outlines the road closures, highlights alternate routes and provides access information for popular destinations which will be affected by road closures during the Half Marathon and 10k.
Road Closure Map - 5k
For a map outlining road closures during the Saturday 5k, please click here or see below.
At most points along the course, pedestrians and bicyclists may cross the course during safe gaps in runners. Please follow the discretion of a traffic controller if present. Google Maps does NOT take into account the road closures on race day. To request assistance with alternate directions please contact the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series community relations team by emailing [email protected].
ALTERNATE ACCESS ROUTES
Downtown/East Loop of the Race Course
*This is the area bordered by Santa Clara to the south, 10th to the east, Jackson and Hedding to the north, and Terraine and San Pedro to the west. Road closures in this area will be from approximately 7:00-10:00 am.
Use Market St/Coleman Ave to enter and exit this area
- To exit the area:Go west on Julian or St John Street.Turn right/north onto Market Street/Coleman Avenue.Continue on Coleman to I-880 North or South.
- To enter the area:From I-880, take Exit 3/Coleman Avenue.Go south on Coleman toward downtown.Continue Market Street into downtown area.Turn left/east onto St. James to reach locations inside the course.
- To the south, Santa Clara will open by approximately 9:45 a.m.
- To the east, 10th Street will open by approximately 10:00 a.m.
- The entire area encircled by the first four miles of the course will open by approximately 10:30 a.m.
Road closures on Saturday and Sunday will affect normal access to Keystone condos. Bassett Street from 2nd to Terraine will be closed from 7:00-10:30am on Sunday and 7:00-9:00am on Saturday. Alternate parking is available from 6:00pm on Friday, October 4 until 2:00pm on Sunday, October 6 to Keystone residents who request it. To obtain a parking pass, email your request with your full name, mailing address and phone number to [email protected].
Road closures on Saturday and Sunday will affect normal access to Villa Torino Condos. From 7:00 -10:30 am on Sunday, an access lane will be provided on Bassett Street from Villa Torino's garage to Little Market Street to exit and approach via Coleman Avenue. Two-way traffic, directed by traffic officers, will be allowed on Little Market and Bassett to the garage so that residents can come and go. The same access will be provided on Saturday from 7:00-9:00 am.
St. Joseph Cathedral and Fairmont Hotel
Due to proximity to the finish line at Plaza de Cesar Chavez, allow extra time to reach these locations. Delays may occur, especially before the race starts (7-8:00am) when runners are parking in the downtown area for the start. Use the routes posted below before and during the race (7:00am–12 Noon) to approach and leave the church and hotel.
- View directions and diagram of alternate access route for St. Joseph
- View directions and diagram of alternate access route for Fairmont Hotel
Hotel De Anza
Santa Clara Street/The Alameda will be closed from 3:00am-1:15pm. Please notify the hotel’s valet parking service on Saturday night if you will be leaving during that time. Your vehicle will be brought to Notre Dame Avenue, between Santa Clara and Carlyle Streets.
- To exit the area: Drive north on Notre Dame, then turn left on Julian Street to reach Highway 87/Guadalupe Parkway.
- To reach the Hotel: From southbound Highway 87, take Exit 6B/Julian Street. Continue through the light to North Almaden Blvd. Stay on Almaden as it curves left, then turn left on Carlyle Street, then right onto Notre Dame Ave.
Residents, visitors, and church attendees (Calvary, Christian Scientist, Spiritual Enlightenment Churches) may use the northbound access lane on Park Avenue to reach those locations and the southbound access lane on The Alameda to leave between 8:00 a.m. and 12: 45 p.m.
- To enter the area: Approach from the south on Park Ave. Turn right on Singletary. Turn left on Chapman or Morse to your destination.
- To exit the area: Go south on Chapmen or Morse. Turn left on Singletary. Turn right on The Alameda.
*This is the area bordered by Bascom to the east, Newhall to the north, Monroe to the west and Hedding to the south. These streets will be closed from approximately 7:00 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
- To exit the area:Go east on Cherrystone Drive. Turn right/south onto Bascom. Stay in the right lane to take the freeway entrance to I-880.
- To enter the area: Residents should park outside the race route and walk to their destination.
Streets along the race course will be marked with No Parking signs. Vehicles in violation of these posted signs will be ticketed and towed at the owners’ expense. Check out the complete list of No-Parking zones.
For More Information
If your question is not answered on this website, please contact the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series community relations team by emailing [email protected].