Information regarding the 2020 Rock ‘n’ Roll Arizona Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K & 5K road closures below
*Information provided on this page is continuously updated and subject to change so please check back for information pertaining to 2020
- Weekend Road Closure Grid*
- Sunday Full/Half/10K Course Map*
- Saturday 5K Course Map*
- Road Closure Notice*
Alternate Access Routes
- Downtown Tempe Access*
- Camelback Bible Church Access*
- Christ Church Anglican Access*
- Cornerstone Mall Access*
- Grace Lutheran Church Access*
- Hayden Ferry Access*
- Karsten Golf Course Access*
- Oceanside Ice Rink Access*
- Old Town Scottsdale Access*
- Pagago Buttes Church of the Brethren Access*
- Skysong Access*
- St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church Access*
- Zoo, Botanical Gardens, & Rolling Hills Golf Course Access*
*Requires free Adobe Reader to view and print
Use the free Waze App on your smart phone for point to point directions on race day around road closures!
Be Aware. Plan Ahead
Drivers are encouraged to adjust travel time within and around the race course.
- The 10K is back again this year, and uses roads already closed for the marathon and 1/2 marathon. It will start at 7:50 am with the Half Marathon on E. University Ave, follow the same course for slightly more than 2 miles, then turn onto the Tempe Lake Path, before finishing in Tempe Beach Park. All events will finish near Mill Ave and Rio Salado Parkway in Tempe Beach Park.
- The Saturday 5k will take place on January 18th. The race will begin and end at Tempe Beach Park.
- The Rock ‘n’ Roll Arizona Marathon & 1/2 Marathon will bring more than 25,000 runners and walkers to Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale, in addition to tens of thousands of spectators, family and friends.
- To get the most out of your weekend and minimize stress, be aware of the road closures in your area and plan ahead for an alternate route or added travel time.
- Join the festivities! Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale residents are encouraged to visit the free Health & Fitness Expo on at the Phoenix Convention Center, volunteer during race weekend and/or line the course to cheer runners. Visit the website to learn about volunteer opportunities!
Most road closures and detours will be in effect between the hours of 6:00 am and 3:30 pm. At 6:00 am, Police and event personnel may implement a soft closure along the entire race course. At most points along the course, pedestrians and bicyclists may cross the course during safe gaps in runners. Please follow the discretion of a traffic controller if present. All races on Sunday will start at 7:50 am, and streets will reopen on a rolling basis as soon as the last participant has passed and all course support materials have been removed. Streets along the earlier miles of the route will open earlier than roads along the end of the route. Please review the road closure grid and course map for more information. Residents and businesses located near the race course are urged to plan ahead and to be aware of road closure schedules and alternate access routes.
Road Closure Map
This map outlines the road closures, highlights alternate routes and provides access information for popular destinations which will be affected by road closures during the race. Please click on the icons for information about road closure times and/or general access information. At most points along the course, pedestrians and bicyclists may cross the course during safe gaps in runners. Please follow the discretion of a traffic controller if present. Google Maps does NOT take into account the road closures on race day. To request assistance with alternate directions please contact the Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon community relations team by emailing [email protected].
To view the interactive map for the Saturday 5k please CLICK HERE!
Arcadia Area: Between 48th Street, 64th Street, Indian School Rd and Van Buren St.
During the race, residents can leave/enter the area by the following options:
A. Use Eastbound Thomas Blvd to 64th Street. Drivers will be allowed to turn left onto 64th Street from eastbound Thomas Blvd. From 64th Street, turn right onto Osborn Road to gain access to highway 101.
B. Use 52nd Street south to West bound 202. You will only be able to travel WEST on the 202 from this point.
C. To enter the area please use the 52nd Street exit from Eastbound 202.
*Please note: the 52nd Street EXIT is open from EASTBOUND 202 ONLY. 52nd Street exit is not accessible via WESTBOUND 202.
Public Transportation Information
Valley Metro Rail will operate a Sunday schedule with trains running every 20 minutes to connect full and half-marathoners to the race start locations in downtown Phoenix and Tempe. Additional trains will be used to support demand prior to the start of the races and following the finish of the races. Riders should note the following service restrictions:
Due to the start of the race at Van Buren/1st St, there may be slight delays to allow safe passage for runners at Van Buren/Central Ave and Van Buren/1st Ave.
Due to a race crossing in Phoenix, Valley Metro Rail service will be suspended between 7th Ave/Camelback and Central Ave/Camelback from approximately 7:30-10 a.m.
Service will continue through race crossings in Tempe, but there may be slight delays to allow safe passage for runners. Passengers should allow extra time to reach their destinations. Transit passengers are required to pay a fare, including all marathon participants. An All-Day pass is $4.00 and can be purchased in advance at a rail station fare vending machine or retail locations listed at valleymetro.org.
For More Information
If your question is not answered on this website, please contact [email protected].