If you sweat as much as I do after a run, you just want to dive headfirst into a cold shower. However, it's supremely important to eat within 30 minutes of your workout. As much as you want to rinse off the salt and tears, go have a snack first.
These bars are a great option to snack on post-workout because of their effective ratio of carbs to protein. And, you can tailor them to fit your personal tastes.
The main ingredients in these bars are rolled oats, which provide the carbohydrates you need post-workout to raise blood glucose and stimulate muscle building. They are bound together with honey and nut butters, which provide natural sweetness, protein, and healthy fats as part of a healthy, filling diet.
Once you have the base, you can add whatever you have at the ready for extra flavor and nutrients. I chose various chopped nuts for the crunch and healthy fats, dried fruit for the sweetness and fiber, and dark chocolate for the antioxidants (and because I can’t go the whole day without chocolate).
While dried fruits are delicious and an awesome addition to these bars, don’t overdo them in your general diet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Chill time: 20 minutes
Additions for Salty-Sweet Pistachio Cranberry Bars:
Additions for Triple Fruit Bars:
Additions for Chocoholic Bars:
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the honey, peanut butter and almond butter over medium heat until thoroughly mixed together.
2. Remove from heat and add in oats. Stir to combine. They will be slightly crumbly, but don’t worry: chilling them in the refrigerator will solidify them.
3. Separate oat mixture into three separate piles or however many different bar versions you would like to make. Stir in chosen additions.
4. Line three different plates with wax paper. Dump each bar batter onto the wax paper and mold into separate bars, each about the size of a deck of cards.
5. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Now they’re ready for you to grab after a run!