A CELEBRATION OF THE PARTICIPANTS, VOLUNTEERS, SPONSORS, AND STAFF THAT MADE 20 YEARS RUNNING POSSIBLE
It was a historic day for a historic event as the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon & ½ Marathon celebrated 20 years running on June 4, 2017. The original Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in 1998 is still recognized as the largest inaugural marathon in U.S. history with 19,979 entrants. Since then, the race has had a significant impact on the running world and has grown to an entire series with 29 events globally.
Since its inception, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series has been a place where runners and spectators can give back by fostering selflessness in the form of charity fundraising partnerships such as Team In Training and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, which have been closely linked the series and have raised over $335 million.
View our other Milestones episodes:
- The Game Changer | The debut episode of Milestones, looks back at the 1998 Inaugural Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon, which was the game changer of the running industry.
- The Champion | Featuring three-time Super Bowl champion, Roger Craig, who was a founding member of the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Jose Half Marathon.
- The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll | The episode highlights why runners dressing up as “The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll” is a part of our history.
- A Run to Remember | Featuring wear blue: run to remember, the organization that honors the service and sacrifice of the American military.
- Positively Harriette | In 2015 Harriette Thompson became the oldest woman in history to run a marathon.