Information regarding road closures on October 1-2, 2016 during the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Jose Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k is available. Additional information will be posted in coming weeks. Information provided on this page is subject to change.
- Course Map-1/2 Marathon and 10K *
- Course Map-Saturday 5K*
- Road Closure Grid-1/2 Marathon, 10K, and Saturday 5K*
- No Parking Zones*- Saturday and Sunday
- Race Information*
- Course Map showing Alternate Routes*
- Alternate Access Notes for Course Map*
*Requires free Adobe Reader to view and print
Use the free Waze App on your smart phone for point to point directions on race day around road closures! Download here.
- The Rock ‘n’ Roll San Jose Half Marathon brings approximately 16,000 runners and walkers to San Jose, in addition to tens of thousands of spectators, family and friends.
- The 5k returns on Saturday, October 1, 2016. For a detailed course map and road closure grid please refer to the above downloads.
- The Rock ‘n’ Roll San Jose Half Marathon provides a venue for charities to raise thousands of dollars every year.
- Join the festivities! San Jose residents are encouraged to visit the free Health & Fitness Expo at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center, volunteer during race weekend, or line the course to cheer on the runners.
Be Aware. Plan Ahead
To get the most out of your weekend and minimize stress: Be Aware. Plan Ahead. Expect Delays. Be aware of road closures in your area and plan ahead for an alternate route and added travel time. Drivers are encouraged to adjust travel time by 1-2 hours. VTA riders can expect minor delays in service and bus reroutes as a result of road closures due to the race. Streets along the race course will be marked with No Parking signs approximately 72 hours before the event. Vehicles in violation of these posted signs will be ticketed and towed at the owners’ expense. View list of No-Parking Zones.
Freeway and Ramp Closures
No freeways will be closed on race day, however expect delays on Highway 87 near downtown and Highway 880 near Bascom Avenue, due to the close proximity of the race course. Three freeway ramps will be closed:
|Freeway||Ramp Closed||Time Closed|
|NB Hwy 87||Off-ramp to Santa Clara St.||4 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.|
|NB Hwy 880||Off-ramp southbound to Bascom Ave. (northbound traffic allowed)||6 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.|
|SB Hwy 880||Off-ramp to southbound Bascom Ave. (northbound traffic allowed)||6 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.|
Interactive Road Closure Map
This map outlines the road closures, highlights alternate routes and provides access information for popular destinations which will be affected by road closures during the Half Marathon and 10k on Sunday, October 2, 2016.
For a map outlining road closures during the Saturday 5k, please CLICK HERE.
At most points along the course, pedestrians and bicyclists may cross the course during safe gaps in runners. Please follow the discretion of a traffic controller if present. Google Maps does NOT take into account the road closures on race day. To request assistance with alternate directions please contact the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series community relations team by completing the community contact form.
Alternate Access Routes
St. Joseph Cathedral and Fairmont Hotel:
Due to close proximity to the finish line at Plaza de Cesar Chavez, allow extra time for alternate access and expect delays before the race starts (7-8:00 a.m.) Use the following access route during the race (8:00 a.m. – 12 Noon): From San Carlos Street, use 1st and 2nd Street to connect with San Fernando Street. Hotel guests will be metered in/out on Market Street.
- View directions and diagram of alternate access route for St. Joseph
- View directions and diagram of alternate access route for Fairmont Hotel
Hotel De Anza:
Please notify the hotel’s valet parking service on Saturday night if you will be leaving between 7:00 and 11:00 am. The race organizers have arranged for hotel parking on Notre Dame, between Santa Clara and Carlysle Streets. From this parking area, you will be able to drive north on Notre Dame, turn left on Julian Street, and access Highway 87/Guadalupe Parkway. To access the San Jose airport, follow directions above to Highway 87 north and follow signs to airport. Prior to the complete reopening of Santa Clara Street/The Alameda at 1:15 p.m., use Southbound Highway 87 to return to the Hotel De Anza before 10:00 a.m. From Southbound Highway 87, exit on Julian Street (6B) , continue through the light to North Almaden Blvd, make a slight right, turn left on Carlysle Street and right onto Notre Dame Ave.
Residents between Newhall and Hedding, Monroe and Bascom, can use Cherrystone Drive to exit the area between 7:00-12:15 a.m. To enter the area during road closures, residents should park outside the race route and walk to their destination.
Rosicrucian Neighborhood – YMCA and area Churches:
Residents, YMCA patrons and church visitors for Calvary Church, Christian Scientist Church and Spiritual Enlightenment Church can use the northbound access lane on Park Avenue for inbound access and the southbound access lane on The Alameda for outbound access between 8:00 a.m. and 12: 45 p.m.
Inbound: Approach from the south on Park Ave. Turn right on Singletary. Turn left on Chapman or Morse to your destination.
Outbound: Go south on Chapmen or Morse. Turn left on Singletary. Turn right on The Alameda to exit the area.
Downtown/East Loop of the Race Course:
*This is the area bordered by Hedding to the north, 11th to the east, 1st and San Pedro to the west, and Santa Clara to the south)
The course has changed slightly in the downtown area. Due to planned construction on San Pedro, the route will shift to Little Market/Market. Coleman/Market cannot be used to access the area as in prior years.
From approximately 8:00 am-8:40 am it will not be possible to enter or exit the downtown area encircled by the run course. Residents are strongly encouraged to leave or enter the area BEFORE road closures or to park outside the loop before roads close and walk to vehicles during the race.
Before 8:00 a.m. and after 8:40 a.m., vehicles may be allowed to cross the run route at locations below at the discretion of traffic officers if there are gaps between race participants. Expect delays, possibly lengthy, at these points and plan travel accordingly. (From 8:00 a.m. – 8:40 a.m., the runner pack is too tight to cross the route.)
TO EXIT before 8:00 a.m.:
- Take southbound 7th and cross at Santa Clara, at discretion of traffic officer.
- Take northbound 7th and cross at Jackson, at discretion of traffic officer.
- Take eastbound Julian and cross at 11th, at discretion of traffic officer.
TO EXIT after 8:40 a.m.: All traffic will be directed south to exit the area.
TO ENTER before 8:00 a.m.:
- From the south, take northbound 7th and cross at Santa Clara, at discretion of traffic officer.
- From the north, take southbound 7th and cross at Jackson, at discretion of traffic officer.
- Take eastbound Julian and cross at 11th, at discretion of traffic officer.
TO ENTER after 8:40 a.m.:
- Santa Clara and 3rd should be clear. Take northbound 3rd and cross at Santa Clara to enter the area at earliest possible time.
- Streets along earlier miles of the route open sooner than those along the end of the route. Traffic officers will allow vehicles to cross as last participant passes when possible.
- To the south, Santa Clara will be open by approximately 9:00 a.m.
- To the east, 11th Street will open by approximately 9:15 a.m.
- The entire area encompassed by the first four miles of the course will be open by approximately 10:00 a.m.
Keystone, Villa Torino, The Plaza, and Silicone Valley Condo Residences:
Road closures and construction on San Pedro will restrict access to these residences. The access lanes set up in past years are not feasible because they would only loop back onto the run route. It will not be possible to access the parking lots of these units. Residents are encouraged to leave before road closures or to park away from the route before roads close and walk to their vehicles, then follow the directions above to exit the area.
Public Transportation Information
On Saturday, October 1, road closures will affect VTA lines 22, 23, 63, 64, 66, 68, 72, 73, 82, 181, 323, 522 and MST 55. On Sunday, October 2 lines 22, 23, 61, 62, 63, 64, 66, 68, 72, 73, 82, 181, 522 & MST 55 will be affected. There will only be minor delays to light rail service. For more detailed routing information please visit www.vta.org or call VTA Customer Service at (408) 321-2300 ; for TDD only (408) 321-2330.
*additionally, routes 323 and 522 have been added by VTA.
Streets along the race course will be marked with No Parking signs. Vehicles in violation of these posted signs will be ticketed and towed at the owners’ expense. View a complete list of No-Parking Zones here .
Local Business? Get Involved!
If you are a local business looking to reach our thousands of runners, spectators and volunteers, take advantage of our free “Show Your Bib” program. Click here for more information!
For More Information
If your question is not answered on this website, please complete this community contact form so we may better assist you.